Mynydd Carningli, GW/MW-033.. de MW0BBU/p | RF Circuits

Monday, July 1, 2013

Mynydd Carningli, GW/MW-033.. de MW0BBU/p

Foel Carningli

Well here we are again, the start of another SOTA activation only this time it's a solo effort as MW0MJB, Mark, is celebrating his wedding anniversary today, congratulations to you and Helen... 

Anyway set off at around 07:45 from home and travelled North to Newport on the North Pembrokeshire Coast where Mynydd Carningli towers over this small coastal town. 

Winding my way up through the narrow lanes towards the mountain it appears now and again through the trees giving glimpses of whats to come.

On the path to Carningli.....
I arrived at the base car park at around 08:30 and sat for a little while just looking up at the summit, contemplating the climb.. 

Now from the car park this mountain is somewhat deceptive.. it looks like a small mountain that's close in but only when you start to move up it do you realise that it's a large one far away... really fools the eye. 

Anyway started off from the van at about 08:40 with the gear hanging fairly heavily in the rucksack, on the well visible bit of the track. 

At around a third of the way up there are some old remnants of the quarrying that went on at the mountain some years ago. 

It's from this point that the path becomes somewhat vague... well I thought " up is up" and off I went trying to find the easiest way to the summit. 

This it appeared involved me clambering over quite a large area of loose boulders for some distance but with great care it wasn't too bad... The summit, or so I thought was coming closer all the time, however when I reached this peak I was met by another further on which was the true summit... deceptive to the last. 

After about three quarters of an hour I was at the top and just had to sit and take in the view for a little while.. 
Cwmcerwyn fron Carningli

It's really beautiful from the top and you have a great view of Foel Cwmcerwyn where MW0MJB and myself did our first SOTA activation.. 

After setting up the Doublet, and getting the tuner and the Ft817 all set up, a quick tune up and I was away......






20m was the first band to try, and to my disappointment activity was really low.....

It took quite a bit of CQ to get the first one in the bag...09:00utc, F8AAB/p. 

Calling CQ....


It wasn't long before I decided to switch bands to 40m as after nearly 20 mins of calling I had only worked three stations on 20m. 

40m was a totally different thing, conditions to EU were good and a total of 25 station were worked from 10 countries. 






On 30m again the activity was quite low, and only 5 stations worked. 

The weather was absolutely brilliant, so the low QSO rate wasn't too bad as it was a real pleasure to be up there. 

30m QRP



Around 11:30utc I decided to pack away and make my way back down to the van.. 

It was somewhat quicker and the path easier to see on the way down........







All in all I had enjoyed my little trip to Mynydd Carningli, and I'm sure one day to make the return trip.. 

Thanks to everyone who worked me on the SOTA.

All the best and 73's.

Steve...MW0BBU.  

No comments:

Post a Comment