Frenni Fawr, GW/MW-028 de MW0BBU/p. | RF Circuits

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Frenni Fawr, GW/MW-028 de MW0BBU/p.

Crymych down below.

This weekend it was decided here at MW0BBU to complete the last of the listed SOTA's in Pembrokeshire, Frenni Fawr, which is a 395m peak to the east of the town of Crymych.
Portable BBU


Set the alarm for 6am and was woken to the sound of heavy rain, not in the plan, this was somewhat disappointing to say the least, anyway with a quick check of the weather I was reassured that it was all going to blow over and the sun would prevail.

At around 07:30 I left the home QTH and headed off on the 60 mile round trip.

On arrival at the parking spot for Frenni Fawr, I found that it was already taken and as it's a bit on the small side I decided to park at a pull in about 250metres down the road, not too bad. 

Quick check of the kit, and the rucksack was slung up on the back and off I went... 

Best foot forward.


Now I know you do see some odd stuff when you are out and about, but to see a guy walking down the hill towards you with eight bags of sheep droppings does get you thinking.. 

Anyway a quick exchange of pleasantries and off I went again.. ever upward.

The hill itself is fairly steep early on but is grass covered, so going is not too bad and it does ease off in steepness about 2/3 of the way up. 

It's at this point that you can see the style at the summit. 

Took me around 40 minutes to get to the top.
          
The weather was really good and the sun soon cleared off any haze from the mornings rain and the view was brilliant, that said I set about getting started. 



There is a very handy fence very close to the trig point to which I taped the antenna pole (forgot the bungees!!), and I was soon on the air. 



/p.... what an FT817 was made for...!!

For a change I decided to start on 40m instead of the usual 20m.. good choice it would seem as from the off I was working stations. DL8YR being the first in the bag at 08:30 utc. 

In just under half an hour I had managed to work 22 stations and I thought it would be a good time to go to 20m, this was not so good... 

The only station that I worked was an old friend of mine, Bill MW0BYS, down near the home QTH.. 

Anyway I did give 30m a go and that produced just 2 qso's.... DF7TT and LX1NJ. 

So back to 40m, another 6 qso's and that brought the total for the morning to 28 qso's.


Heading home..
After a little bit of sitting back and taking in the Pembrokeshire views, and taking a few photos, 

I decided that I had had done enough and set about packing up and moving on down.. 

I had very much enjoyed my trip to Frenni Fawr and I must say it really is out on its own... 


And would be a great hill for a VHF sota.. maybe a future activation. 


I would like to thank everyone who took the time to work MW0BBU/p 
from GW/MW-028.
All the best es 73's
Steve...MW0BBU.


No comments:

Post a Comment