Brandy Hill, GW/MW-037..de MW0BBU/p | RF Circuits

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Brandy Hill, GW/MW-037..de MW0BBU/p

Cwmcerwyn in the distance.
Here we go again at MW0BBU, another SOTA activation to get on with. 

This one however isn't so daunting a task as it is very easy to get too. 

Anyway left the house around 9am with the threat of showers looming over here in West Wales, making my way towards Tavernspite which is about 26 miles from here. 

Now I eventually found the place, only one wrong turn, and after finding somewhere off the road to park up and a quick look at the view to the North, I set about getting the antenna rigged.

No guys needed this time as there was a very handy gate which allowed me to "Bungee" the pole to. 

Brandy Hill masts.
Isn't it always the same mind you, you think you can get a wire antenna up tidy on your own but it nearly always ends up bent... 

Unlike the commercial giants set on the hill... 

Anyway, all sorted and I tried to find myself a spot tucked under the hedge just in case the showers came again.... which they did. 





A strategic placing of an umbrella over the kit ensured that it stayed dry, even though it was a bit of a nuisance when the wind blew. 

OK, I was up and running, FT817 all tuned..CQ CQ CQ on 20m, nothing, not even a QRZ....!! 

Now that really isn't encouraging..tried for a good 10 minutes..still nothing. 

Ah well 40m it is then, again CQ CQ..still nothing....!!

Now you know the guy who should really use the glasses that he paid a lot of money for.... well that's me... had it set to 500mW geeshhh!!, 

Anyway up to 5 watts it goes and bingo... DL5HXX first in the bag at 09:24 utc...
CQ CQ CQ 40 metres.
Oh! at this point I must apologise again for starting too early.... 

Anyway... worked a total of 18 stations on 40m which gives me the points I need, so after half an hour, and the threat of more rain I called it a day.

I would like to thank all who took the time to work me from Brandy Hill, GW/MW-037 and I look forward to working you from the next one..
 

All the best,

Steve...MW0BBU.      

No comments:

Post a Comment