Windows free for 30 days - Day 2 | RF Circuits

Friday, May 6, 2011

Windows free for 30 days - Day 2

Day 2 of my Exam Revision Avoidance Strategy(tm)

I still haven't been to sleep yet, so this is still technically day 1, but whatever...

Linux & Gaming...
Tonight I decided to put some games on to play. Not the crappy card games that come with every OS, proper games, FPSes. I wanted to run Steam, and there's a this cool app called PlayOnLinux that handles all the fiddly bits for you. Basically you install it, and it handles all the Wine setup, etc, for you. Cool eh?

Installing POL was as easy as going to their website, adding their repository to my sources.list, and installing using apt. Installing Steam required even less effort - simply click on the "Add" button and select Steam from the list. Once Steam was installed, I shut it down, deleted the new steamapps folder, and created a symbolic link back to my normal steamapps folder. This saved me downloading the 6.9GB of games I'd already downloaded. Even cooler!

Running the games proved less fruitful. Source (the game engine) had a small brain hemorrhage (probably over my dual monitor, virtual space setup) and died a horrible horrible death. It's too late tonight to try again, but over the weekend I should get it sorted....


Linux Web Servers
If you've been exposed to Linux for more than 5 minutes you'll probably know they make the best web servers. There's even an acronym, LAMP, which stands for Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP (WAMP is a Windows variant, but we don't care about that).

For the more nerdy among you, I've just spent the day recompiling php5 for Ubuntu to include GD2. This isn't normally included with the Ubuntu version of php5, and using apt to install it will not give you all the necessary image functions.

I've read a really good step-by-step on how to recompile php with the gd2 extension here.

No comments:

Post a Comment